Wayward Travels

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Leaky faucet...




This is, in the words of a travel guide writer, is what Niagara Falls appears to be when compared with the likes of the Cataratas de Iguazú. He may be right. Last night I had the most sublime experience of seeing the falls under the glow of a full moon. The experience was divine, but it is all mine, for me, and I won´t write about it here.
Another guidebook author quipped that El Parque Nacional de Iguazú might better be called the Iguazú theme park, and nothing could be truer. I went today by daylight, and this time the experience was much closer to the groomed and packaged experience of Disneyland than that of a rugged national park. "Trails" were constructed walkways with handrails, "Park rangers" were staff with blue-and-green t-shirts, souvenier shops replaced ranger stations. Even the "Nautical Adventure" (a maid-of-the-mist-style boat right on a speed boat) had long lines and the feel of a theme part ride. And the tourists came in absolute DROVES. I was overwhelmed.
Still, there was no detracting from the splendor of the waterfalls (stunning, varied, expansive, impressive, gorgeous) and their backdrop (cliffs, sky, rivers, trees, wild fauna). I was one of those camera-toting tourists, and I´m sure I´ve taken enough pictures to bore even the most tolerant of you who wishes to see them. But even if you could enlarge them two-hundred-fold and add a filharmonic score from Mozart, you still wouldn´t be able to get the idea anyway. It´s not your fault. It simply can´t be done. But when I tell you about it, you´ll see that look in my eye, the same look I´ll have when I talk about Perito Moreno or Semuc Champey or Siete Altares or sunrise at Mount Haleakala or midnight ascent of Santa Maria (okay so all but one of those weren´t in Argentina, but I´m saying that this is up there), and you´ll know.
As my parents have noted, there is a bit of a gap in the blog, due in part to lack of things to say, a lack of will to write, and the fact that I spent many hours on busses to get here (which, thank goodness, were more comfortable that the recent horror from Córdoba to Rosario). I´ve decided to cut my stay in Iguazú a bit early, and moved my flight to Bs. As. from Friday to tomorrow. Seems to me, if I´m going to tool around a city for an extra day, I´d rather it be Buenos Aires than the small, red-dirt (but charming overall) town of Puerto Iguazú. Plus, I´ve had a hankering for Armenian food ever since Emily and Sarah left.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Meera, mi amiga hispanohablante!

I'm just getting caught up with your latest entries. It sounds like you've had an incredible variety of experiences since I last checked in. "Wow-wee" pretty much sums it up!!! I'm also relieved that you've got Claudia of Córdoba Backpackers on your side -- the absolute secret weapon.

I'm fresh from a few days in Wellfleet on the Cape, an awesome time at the Dave Matthews concert at Fenway this past weekend, and a day-long outing to Appledore Island (about 10 mi off coast of New Hampshire, near Portsmouth) to visit a 19th century garden planted by a woman named Celia Thaxter (you might know Appledore and the garden from Childe Hassam's paintings). Headed to Acadia for a few days and then to see the folks. I'm really having trouble believing that it's already 7/13! Egads.

I'm sending you loads of good wishes as you continue on your adventures. Hope the Armenian food in Buenos Aires is as tasty as the first time!

I can't wait to see los fotos!!

Hasta luego,
Sarita

7:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home