Wayward Travels

Friday, June 30, 2006

Two words...


COCHE CAMA.
This translates roughly to "sleeper car" and here, overnight, long-distance travel is mostly accomplished by bus. But Argentina´s bus lines put Greyhound to shame. Imagine a first-class seating on a plane pasted into a double-decker bus, complete with pillow, blankets, restroom, movies, dinner, breakfast and a friendly attentant. This is coche cama. Semi-cama is a little less nice and royal suite has a fully-reclining chair.
All in all, I feel decently rested after my 13-hour bus ride. A few drawbacks--since we were, in fact, driving and not flying, there was always a bit of "turbulence". Also, the food was not being welcomed by my stomach, and it was all I could do to not get sick. The movie was some Denzel Washington flick played on very high volume, which faded in and out, and was better faded out. Nonetheless, I find myself safely in Mendoza, center of Argentina´s wine country. Today´s plan revolves around the Argentina-Germany world cup quarter finals game, which starts shortly. I´ll wander about this afternoon and plan on visiting some bodegas and wineries tomorrow. Have a look through some old posts, as I´ve tried to add a few pictures. Also, thanks for all the comments (esp KR!).

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your trip sounds great and I am still jealous of your adventure. I chuckled reading your tales of x-country skiing and glacier hunting. I'm glad to know that you survived and can now laugh at your mishaps. Travel safely and keep the stories coming. Know that many of us are living vicariously through your journey!
Ang

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pictures are a great addition.
Would love to travel by the bus with all the amenities. Hope you enjoyed the game.
How was the wine country?
Week end we are going to be at Merville uncle's place.
Happy 4th of July.
Love
Mom

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wineries - fun!! Bring back names of some good Argentinian wines (you may have to try a lot :) ... we'll have a tasting!

6:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home